Are you interested in engaging in a unique and meaningful leadership experience next year?
Are you going to be a Sophomore at CSB in Fall 2013?
The Hynes Scholars Program may be right for you!
The Hynes Scholars Program is looking for a NEW 2013-2014 cohort! See description and timeline below.
2013-2014 Hynes Scholars Program Cohort Description
Each year, up to twelve CSB rising sophomore women have the opportunity to apply to become a part of Hynes Scholars, a yearlong cohort based program that explores gender and leadership. This cohort will engage in personal exploration and reflection, scholarship and dialogue concerning the topics of gender and leadership, social justice, self-awareness and self-actualization as well as the opportunities and challenges of being women in today's society. At the end of this experience students should leave with a clear vision about how they wish to shape their own life experience and claim their own gender identity.
This cohort is sponsored by the Institute for Women's Leadership (IWL) at The College of Saint Benedict. The IWL mission statement is as follows:
"Empower women to become local and global leaders by engaging in inclusive dialogue, reflective thinking, and values-based leadership that celebrates and recognizes women as shapers of our world"
Through personal and group experiences Hynes Scholars will:
- Explore how gender influences leadership
- Explore and develop strategies to create positive social change
- Explore the effects of social expectations that influence women's roles, experiences and opportunities.
- Develop an understanding of self as a leader, and the multiple dimensions of identity
Hynes Scholars will be expected to commit to participate in the cohort throughout the 2012-2013 academic years in the following ways:
- Engage in 2 meetings a month every odd Thursday from 4-6pm (you must have this time free in your schedule to participate in the cohort)
- Attend a Fall and Spring retreat
- Participate in writing a blog on experiences in the cohort and personal exploration on topics related to gender and leadership
- Complete a Sapphire Certificate "Gender and Leadership", and at least one other ILCP certificate
- Volunteer 10 hours/semester with the Institute for Women's Leadership (IWL) in a variety of ways
- Engage in a Social Change Project that will be presented at Scholarship and Creativity Day
- Opportunity to continue the Hynes Scholars tradition through mentoring a new incoming cohort during your Junior year
- Opportunity to engage in challenging and impactful education and discussions about gender and leadership with a small community of CSB women
- Opportunities to attend professional development experiences including conferences at a reduced rate
- Mentorship opportunities with Hynes Scholars Alumnae
- Connections with campus resources, staff, administration and faculty
- Applications will be sent out via email to all current first year women on Monday, March 4th, 2013. Click this link to access the application: https://www.csbsju.edu/forms/2FP674O3DD.aspx
- Applications are due Thursday, March 21st, 2013
- Interviews will be held the week of April 1st, 2013
2012-2013 cohort members with Lily Ledbetter