Spirituality and Social Justice (SSJ)
Spirituality and Social Justice (SSJ) is a ministry grounded in Gospel values and Catholic Social Teaching, which integrates social justice and spirituality to promote an active and lifelong commitment to living both prayerfully and justly.
"[A]t the center of all Catholic social teaching are the transcendence of God and the dignity of the human person. The human person is the clearest reflection of God's presence in the world (#74, Empowered by the Spirit)."
SSJ Team 2013-2014
Back left to right: Ellie and Jessica
Front left to right: Sarah, Pam, and Carley
Check out our pictures from National Food Day
In SSJ, we strive to live out justice through prayer recognizing that the will and energy to work for justice come from God and that justice is unsustainable if not for the 'refueling' that comes from God. Our programs and events strive to promote that connection between spirituality and justice and include:
Useful Organizations and Websites:
- CRS College: A variety of educational, co-curricular and engagement resources are available on the CRS College and University website. Included are academic publications, videos, prayer and reflection resources, activities, and stories of global solidarity from colleges and universities around the country.
- Catholics Confront Global Poverty: Join the CRS/USCCB initiative and be one of a million Catholic voices working to end global poverty. Prayer and education resources are available on their website.
- RENEW International: Download a series of reflection guides entitled "The World on Campus" that will help small faith-sharing groups explore global issues through the lenses of prayer, scripture and Catholic Social Teaching.
- Education for Justice: Access a wide range of educational prayer resources on Catholic Social Teaching and various social justice topics.
- JustFaith Ministries: Start a JustFaith group on campus with the newly developed "Justice Walking" program, specifically deisnged for college students.
- Catholic Social Teaching on Campus!: This new website offers a clearinghouse of great resources and best practices that can help you understand and share the Church's social teaching on campus! Also find:
- Scripture, quotes from our Catholic faith tradition, and issues of Life and Dignity
- Find prayer, small group, service reflection and action ideas
- Learn about Church teaching, young Catholics living out their faith
- Submit an idea for possible feature on the site
- Get new ideas each week for your ministry
- Fair Trade Resource Network: This is an informational hub designed to grow the fair trade movement. Find resources to help promote fair trade on campus and in your life!
If you have any questions, comments, programming suggestions that you would like to see on campus, or if you are interested in becoming an SSJ volunteer please email our team at email@example.com - we would love to hear from you!