Thank you for your commitment to this ministry. All Lectors should be at the chapel at 5:15 p.m. in order to practice and be prepared for mass. If you are unable to be a lector on the day you are scheduled, please find a replacement and let our staff know as soon as possible.
Before the Eucharist
- Sign in on the ministry sheet in the gathering place by 5:15 p.m.
- Take part in brief lectio divina with the other lectors in the Gathering Place.
- Rehearse in the chapel with microphones; find your assigned seats in the first row on the East Nave
- Review the entrance procession and recessional procession
- Second reader and petition reader carry candles, following the Cross Bearer.
- First reader carries the Lectionary into the church during the entrance procession after candles. After all have bowed, the first reader places the Lectionary on the ambo, opens it, and goes to his or her pew
Use of Ear microphones:
- Attach microphone to left ear and adjust as necessary
- To turn mic on, slide the mute button on the mic pac off until the light is green. To turn off, slide mute button back until the light is red
- The mic pac can be clipped to the lector's clothing or set on the ambo during the reading
During the Eucharist: Proclamation of the Word
- Bow toward the altar and go directly to the ambo
- Read slowly and clearly and project your voice into the mic
- After completing the reading, pause, look up, and proclaim "The Word of the Lord."
- Bow to the Altar on the way back to the pew
- Petition reader goes up to the altar immediately after the Creed. If there is no Creed, watch the presider as he comes toward the altar
- Petition reader remains at the ambo while the presider says the closing prayer
- Walk out of the pew when the presider comes to the base of the sanctuary and you all bow together. The Lectionary and Candles are left where they are. Readers lead the procession; the presider follows.