Thank you for your commitment to this ministry. Gift bearers should arrive in the gathering place in the Sacred Heart Chapel by 5:40 p.m. on their scheduled Sunday to check-in and receive instructions. If you are unable to be a gift bearer, please find a replacement and let our staff know as soon as possible.
Before the Eucharist
- Sign-in on the volunteer list in the Gathering Place by 5:40 p.m.
- Speak with the Gift Bearer coordinator to decide what to bring up, and to receive any necessary instructions
- Choose a seat near the gifts table
During the Preparation of the Gifts (toward the end of the collection time)
- When the collection has been taken up and the presider goes to the Altar, the gift bearers go to the table.
- One gift bearer pours some water into the chalice and the decanter. The water pitcher is left on the gifts table.
- All gift bearers process to the Altar together and bow before going up the steps.
- The gift bearer with the collection meets a greeter while processing. That greeter places the baskets from the North and West naves in the large basket.
- The gift bearers with the bread and wine present their gifts to the presider and the person with the collection places it on the floor in front of the altar on the opposite side of the presider
- All remain at the altar until the presider has received both the bread and wine, and has prayed over each. Then all bow with the presider.
- Gift bearers return to their seats.
Note: It is important to walk with honor and stand by the altar with dignity. It is also important to dress appropriately.