Immigrants and Refugees
St. Cloud and Cold Spring, MN
March 2nd-March 8th, 2014
Students will work with La Cruz, serving the Somalian community in St. Cloud through tutoring children and workshops. The La Cruz Community Center also serves as a gathering place for members of the St. Cloud community. The goal of the center is to provide a strong and consistent support system for members of the La Cruz community to help them achieve positive growth and success. La Cruz offers both educational classes for children, adolescents, and adults. In the past participants have worked with La Cruz in a variety of tasks, including an after-school tutoring program and resume building workshop for high school students.
Casa Guadalupe Multicultural Communities (CGMC), located in Cold Spring, serves the growing needs of the Latino communities of Stearns, Sherburne and Benton County. For sixteen years CGMC has been providing services to the public, aiding with referrals, having educational workshops and engaging the community in civic and economic participation. CGMC is the only Latino resource center in over 16 counties in Central Minnesota that advocates and directly works to empower the Latino community. Students will be working in assisting the center with whatever they may need as well as working with children.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $325.
- Travel: The group travels from campus to St. Cloud by van. During the week, the group will use the van in order to get around St. Cloud and Cold Spring with ease.
- Lodging: Participants will stay with host families during their time with Casa Guadalupe. In St. Cloud, participants in the past have stayed with the Mary Center at St. Mary's Cathedral.
- Food: Some meals will be provided by the work sites. Any meals not provided by the work sites will be supplemented with funds given to the Co-Leaders following the SNAP Challenge.
- Work: Participants will work at Casa Guadalupe and La Cruz, helping them in the office and volunteering in their programs as needed.
- Extra Fun: Get to know the St. Cloud and Cold Spring communities in our backyard.
- Focus: Inter-cultural learning and understanding, community, refugees, learning
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Points of Interest:
- African Immigrants/Refugees
- Latino Immigrants/Refugees
- Teaching English
- Forming friendships with local community members
- Cross-cultural learning
- Local Issues
- Future volunteer opportunity
From Past Participants:
"Awesome experience. Learned a lot, experienced a lot." - 2013 Participant
"The trip was positive because I feel like it was an awesome learning experience that I would never have had without ABE. Experiences with immigrants and refugees were eye-opening and will change the way I live life from now on." -2012 Participant