Dr. MaryAnn Baenninger
MaryAnn Baenninger; left: 2006, right: 2009
MaryAnn Baenninger's term as CSB president began in the 2004-2005 academic year, the next step in a career dedicated to higher education. She received her bachelor's degree and her Ph.D. from Temple University in Philadelphia, was a psychology professor at the College of New Jersey, Philadelphia University, and Washington College, and executive associate director of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, in which she was a liaison to 110 colleges and universities, coordinating their accreditation and choosing members for visiting evaluation teams.
Dr. Baenninger's presidency has been very energetic and effective. In December 2004, Baenninger, CSB Board of Trustees, and the SJU Board of Regents developed and approved Strategic Directions 2010, a proposal to ensure the future of the colleges as superior, Catholic, undergraduate, liberal arts institutions. Strategic Directions 2010 is reassessed and revised annually by the Boards. In 2006, the Benedicta Arts Center was renovated and expanded to encourage the continued growth of the fine arts. The Gorecki Dining and Conference Center was completed and dedicated in 2007 to provide a better cafeteria for students as well as a convenient location to host events on campus. In September 2008, Baenninger completed "Our Place in the World: A Campaign to Inspire and Transform", a lucrative capital campaign that raised $82.7 million for CSB. Also in 2008, CSB and SJU successfully conducted a massive self-evaluation for The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools in order to secure reaccreditation. An office for sustainability and a CSB chapter of Phi Beta Kappa were established during her presidency. Dr. Baenninger helped achive national recognition for CSB as an "Up and Coming" college from US News & World Report for several years including most recently in 2012. During the 2012-2013 academic year, Bennie seniors-members of CSB's centennial class of 2013-moved into Centennial Commons, the new student townhomes located across College Avenue from the campus. Planning for a renovation and expansion of the Haehn Campus Center and the construction of a new academic building are the next major projects for President Baenninger.
Throughout her presidency, Baenninger has worked hard on "reflection, connection, inspiration, action, and openness." To address the question, how can liberal arts institutions, and specifically the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University, respond to these imperatives?" she replied: "We can begin by nurturing reflective processes that can help our students make sense of a complex world. We must also present our disciplines as dynamic, connected, changing entities, not static bodies of knowledge to be delivered. And we must immerse our students in multifaceted experiences so that they might better understand interconnections. We must reward students for taking advantage of different opportunities on their college campuses and beyond." [Inaugural Address April 2005]
For more on MaryAnn Baenninger:
- Office of the President webpage
- 'Board to begin president selection process Friday', The Record, February 19, 2004, pg. 1, 2.
- 'Baenninger to be new president', The Record, March 18, 2004, pg. 1.
- 'St. Ben's prepares for the arrival of a new president', The Record, July 8, 2004, pg. 1.
- 'Campuses celebrate a new leader', The Record, April 28, 2005, pg. 1, 3.
- 'U.S. News Ranks CSB/SJU Among the Nation's Top Three Catholic Liberal Arts Colleges', CSB/SJU Press Release, August 21, 2005.
- 'Strategic Directions 2010', CSB Press Release, September 11, 2005.
- 'CSB and SJU ranked among top liberal arts colleges in two surveys', CSB/SJU Press Release, August 17, 2006.
- 'Successful $82.7 million CSB capital campaign celebration is Sept. 20', CSB Press Release, September 7, 2008.
- 'CSB and SJU recognized as top institutions nationally', CSB/SJU Press Release, August 19, 2009.
- 'CSB and SJU receive reaccreditation', CSB/SJU Press Release, August 24, 2009.
- 'President Baenninger sets departure date: 2010', The Record, September 18, 2009, pg. 1, 7.
- 'CSB/SJU receives new Phi Beta Kappa chapter', CSB/SJU Press Release, October 5, 2009.
- 'Baenninger renews contract: Five more years', The Record, January 22, 2010, pg. 1, 8.
- 'CSB and SJU recognized as top instituions nationally', CSB/SJU Release, August 26, 2010.
- 'CSB and SJU rocognized as top institutions nationally', CSB/SJU Press Release, September 13, 2011.
- 'CSB and SJU recognized as top institutions nationally', CSB/SJU Press Release, September 12, 2012.
Special thanks to Meghan Flannery '15 for drafting this text.