Directions to Sugar Shack
The Sugar Shack is approximately 0.8 miles from the New Science Center at Saint John's University. The road is plowed but is often muddy and rough. People have gotten stuck before. We recommend parking by the Saint John's Prep School and walking out to the shack unless you trust your vehicle and are unable to walk that far.
Saint John’s Sugar Shack is located near the Prep School Athletic Fields. Walk down the Old Entrance Road (leads to the footbridge over the highway) and pass the stone arch on your right. Take the next right (past the large red blinking radio tower on your right). Walk up the slight hill and past the rugby and ball diamond. The sugar shack is the small brown building on the left side, just before the woods. It takes about 20-30 minutes to walk out to the sugar shack from campus.
- Take the Saint John’s University exit from Interstate I-94 and head towards campus
- Take a left at the 4-way stop and drive past Science Lot 1 and Science Lot 2 towards the Prep school
- The road forks and you can either go right to the Prep School or left down the Old Entrance Road
- Take a left onto the Old Entrance Road
- Take a right onto the logging trail which leads to the Sugar Shack
The sugar shack location is also on the Arboretum trail maps, available outside the Arboretum offices (104 New Science Building), at the Great Hall Info Desk, and the Outdoor Leadership Center (OLC).